Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hoomaluhia Botanical Gardens April 2013


With the overcast hitting Honolulu I decided it would be a good day to check out this magical garden nestled along the hillside of Kaneohe Koolau mountain range. Firstly Id like to send out a shot to ( Wayde of Waydes World Hawaii ) for the awesome video coverage of this beautiful park . You all can check him out on "Youtube" with a channel that pretty much covers in details the places he's traveled. I admire adventurous souls who put detail into any project they undertake. GREAT JOB WAYDE !! I planned on doing just a drive by the location yesterday as the weather had been pretty unpredictable for the past weeks. But with my Union forcing me to undertake another project in the next week or so. I knew it was a take it while its hot event for me. Meaning I would spend the whole day here. And I am so glad I did. The gardens itself cover's a vast amount of land ranging well over 400 acres. For someone like me ... That's a playground in paradise. When you enter there is a security officer at the front gate who takes a tally of visitor's entering the park. As you continue to drive up to the front office the magnanimous view of the KOOLAU mountains stares directly back at you. Spiritually entering here a feeling of healing, peace and tranquility overcame my tired body. At the front office there are guides to help you with information pertaining to the parks history and will provide visitor's with a detailed map covering the grounds. LAKE : There is also a 32 acre lake providing you with farm raised Talapia for your daily entertainment. CATCH & RELEASE ONLY ! ( SAT & SUN ONLY ) This is what had actually drawn me to visiting the park. As I do a lot of shore casting and boat fishing as a recreational hobby. Talapia is one fish I will probably never eat however , but I will fish just to feel a little wiggle ;) - it makes me feel powerfully in control. A mind thing ... Anyways .... There is a sign located directly in front the office pointing you towards the direction of the lake. On this day there were many families with coolers and their bamboo poles making their way over to the lake. There is a paved path for baby strollers to help you access the park above the lake. But after it ends , your on your own. The reason I noted this is because I have a grandson who makes 2 this month. And carrying a guy like him is pretty rough on the arms and back. So be sure that if you have toddler's to bring an extra pair of shoes so they can burn some of their energy off with the walk. There's is a lot of chicken's , geese , duck's and not to mention the red Talapia. *** PETS , BALL PLAYING *** are not allowed in the park , and open fires , bbq'ing are limited to campsites only. *** Camp permits are issued by the "City & County Of Honolulu. I want to do a camp over here soon. But with my upcoming work schedule it may have to wait. Well to make a long story as short as possible. I ended up leaving to Kaneohe town to grab some lunch and drinks and eventually returned to enjoy the rest of my Saturday. There are many areas to pull over while driving on your way up to the official campsites. Secluded and private and very romantic for couples who want privacy to spend the day together. I ended up doing mini hikes as curious as I am and found so many unique tree's and beautiful fragrant flowers native to our islands. Being part hawaiian these little preserved cultural artifacts are soul healing to someone like me. As I am forever in the mountain's trailing the trails my ancestors walked. And I love fragrance especially those that are not " ARTIFICIAL ". I also found a couple KOA tree's. And some Ohelo berry bushes. Lilikoi , Cocoa , Gauva and so much more. OHELO & LILIKOI: Are so delicious in the preparation of " Marinated Smoke Steaks " in Hawaiian we call it "Pipikaula" or " Smoked Meat ". The Ohelo is also an awesome braising for " Thanksgiving ham and makes a wonderful table decor for Christmas gathering's and Luau's if placed on tea leaf with island floral like Plumeria, Hibiscus and Pele's hair. CAMPSITES : The campsites are very private and cover a large area of the land. There are showers in all bathroom's and even sinks to wash your pots after cooking your camping meal's. HOUR'S : The park is open daily from 9AM - 4PM. I am sure a ranger come's around to check permits daily prior to locking the gate. But if not , your locked in until sunrise. So be sure to carry extra food and beverages and a couple of flashlights , blankets and pillow's if your not sure if you'll make it back from hiking in time to get out. Well I hope you all enjoyed my fast coverage of HOOMALUHIA . I managed to post some picture's of the site. Again thank you Wayde for posting that awesome video. It was everything I expected to be and more ! I look forward to my return to this magical park soon. Aloha people , and happing hiking !! Direction's : 45-680 Luluku Rd Kaneohe, HI 96744 Ph : (808) 233-7323 - I recommend you calling for information as the front office guide's are very helpful in answering any question's you may have pertaining to this park.

No comments:

Post a Comment