Saturday, March 26, 2011

Wili Wili Nui Ridge 3/2011- Angels In Clouds











So blessed to have many good friends ( My besties )- Carrie Suzuki, Roanne Perez, Irma Carlos









Were standing in heaven ladies


















My girlfriend Carrie Suzuki and my Yuri trailguiding

It was an absolutely perfect day for a hike as I have had some built up tension about a personal project of mine which needed restructuring and much deep thought as I am one for analyizine ventures before diving head first , so a hike really did me alot of good on this day of self reflection.

My girlfriends were also the best of company as I have trailed many of the island waterfall hikes with my crew and have only done a couple summit hikes , this being one of them. And it was just a fun day having my besties along.

They have a hiker group of their own which is called W.H.O.R.E.S. and are widely known thru Facebook where most of their hiking invites are posted most of the time. They have sent me numerous amount of invites and because most of my hikes are private and spontaneous I have been unable to join them for over a year now and im so glad I did. I look foward to many more of these with these ladies.

Woke up at about 4:30 am packed the car and stopped in at Denny's Kunia as my little one who is always begging to come along wanted pancakes & scrambled eggs prior to driving out to Aina Hiana. It took us about 1 hour and we were in Kahala. Since we were still early , we stopped in at Kahala to my mother in laws to get some ice for our waterbottles.

We proceeded to Kalani High School District which is a block away from my inlaws driving South on Kamehameha and took the first left after the highschool into Waialae Iki. We approched a gaurdshack about 3 miles up and was given a day pass which allows us to drive thru the residential area here to access the trailhead. While driving thru this neighborhood you are instructed to go directly to your destination as the homes around this part of the island are very expensive running anywhere from $1,000,000 - $14,000,000 and to avoid a lawsuit of privacy invasion it is best to follow those instructions.

We arrived at the entrance of the trailhead at approximently 7:00 am and the sunrise was there to meet us gently dazzling her rays over the mountain peaks.

To my amazement the trail here was very well maintained as shrubs and grass were cut back to access the trail , ribbons and markers all in their places and just wide open & totally impossible for us to get lost.

We made it to the top in about 2 hours as it being my first time on this ridge I really wanted to take in all that it had to offer and so allowed my 10 year old to trailguide with my friend Carrie. While me and one of my besties Roanne had time to catch up and reminisce about our younger days growing up together.

Along this trail there is a series of roped areas which you must climb in order to elevate. So hiking shoes are required and also some gloves will do a hiker justice. I would also recommend wearing shorts on this hike with a bikini top as you will sweat and also some cute knee high stockings for protecting the legs.

At the very top, because this is said to be the highest point on this island, you will be able to view both Waimanalo & Wakiki from your standing position. There is a cute grassed plato in which to rest for lunch or to proceed on to where accessing anything beyond this point must be done off trail.

I found it was much harder for me to return back down as it was coming up and being that I like to run on trails knew that this was not one of those trails you would like to risk taking a chance of tummbling down the mountainside. So caution must be taken.

All in all a very enjoyable hike. No Guava or Vi've as it is out of season and bushes were not fruitful.

Our day ended in bliss as we all convoyed down to Kapahulu to feast on some of the best shaved ice ever. Thank You Carrie, Roanne , Irma , and Yuri for a fantastic day.
My ass hurt , my kness killed me for days later also had the most painful time with my thighs. But wouldnt have missed this hike for the world.

As we discussed Ive been stalking the trailhead to Sacred Falls which is a long anticipated hike that I WILL DO VERY SOON. On Sacred I will be accompanied by a longtime friend and very experienced hiker who ridge runs. Although I have been cautioned by several hikers I know personally who would have no guts to take on such a trail , I am forever climbing and the need to bathe in its waters is a fulfilment which life will grant to me. I will update that hike at a later time.

Wili Wili Nui Ridge two thumbs up ... this is a hike for angels who like standing above the clouds! Loved It !

No comments:

Post a Comment